Pages

Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sardonyx, Blue Goldstone and Tourmaline Gemstones Used in Bead Jewelry

I went to my first local bead show back in June and although I didn’t know what to expect, I certainly didn’t have any problems finding beads I liked. And it didn’t hurt that the show was held at a winery either!

For as much as I’ve read and heard from other artists about what to expect, and how to prepare for your first show, I didn’t set a budget or create a list of beads I wanted. I went with an open mind, mostly expecting to have more options for bead purchases than I can normally find locally. I was pleasantly surprised to not be overwhelmed with wall-to-wall beads. Tables were set up by type of bead, then by color and each group had a variety of shapes to choose from.

It goes without saying that I could have come up with a use for just about every bead I picked up, but after an initial scan of the beads available, I set to work finding beads that would work in a few partial creations I’ve had sitting around my studio for quite a while. Luckily, I was able to find just what I was looking for. I purchased a strand of Sardonyx and Blue Goldstone, as well as two strands of petite tourmaline nuggets.

I’ve always loved Goldstone for its added “sparkle” but when I found the Blue Goldstone I was in heaven. These beads have thousands of tiny copper particles that glitter against a dark blue background. As soon as I picked up the strand I had an idea for using them as these beads are absolutely stunning. They are subtle enough to wear everyday to work against a business suit, but easily transition to a night on the town with the most elegant of evening wear.

It’s been some time since I purchased these beads that I have been able to begin working with them (so many beads, so little time in the day!). BUT, the wait was good because just recently I visited a local bead store and found a spectacular Blue Goldstone pendant. For me, it was akin to the find of the century. I can’t wait to begin working with these beads to get them into a finished design….if the end product is anything like what I’m picturing in my head -I may not be able to part with it!

Below is a glimpse of the beads I purchased and although the picture does not do the Blue Goldstone justice -stay tuned for the finished design and you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...